Why Rory couldn't sign an autograph for young fan

Rory McIlroy's supposed snub of a young autograph hunter has been explained by fellow golfer Ian Poulter.
He tweeted 'Just to clear up the signature thing. We are asked not to sign autographs until we have officially handed in our scorecards. #RulesAreRules.'
It was not McIlroy's only incident with a fan all day, after earlier growing frustrated with a spectator whose noise interrupted his backswing at the 16th hole on Sunday. 
The three-shot leader hit an almost perfect drive down the centre of the fairway - but took exception to one member of the crowd, pointing them out to be ejected with his club.
Speaking out about the incident later, McIlroy said he had been consistently heckled by the offender throughout the day. 

Off you go: McIlroy's request to the marshals seemed to be successful with this man being led away
'He was giving me grief all day,' the three-time Major winner said. 'I sort of put it up for the first 15 holes, and then he deliberately coughed on my downswing on the 16th tee. 
'I still hit a great drive. But I heard it halfway down and I knew who it was. So I turned around and got him chucked out, thankfully.
'I don't know who it was. But I didn't have him bothering me for the last two holes, which was nice.'
McIlroy managed to keep his emotions in check to win his third major, finishing two shots clear of his closest rival. 
Apparent snub: McIlroy appearing to snub a young fan who asked for an autograph

And second-placed Sergio Garcia also had issues with the Liverpool crowd, leaving the putting surface on the same hole to enter the crowd and have words with an encroaching spectator. The actions of both spectators were a big step away from the typical crowd etiquette, and both appeared to be ejected from the grounds at Royal Liverpool on request of the two leaders.

Happy chappy: The new open champion poes with the famous Claret Jug in the locker room after his win After victory, McIlroy revealed the misery at Murfield last year inspired him 12 months later.
‘Missing the cut last year was a very low point as I never missed a cut at the Open before. I said to myself that I’d try to never make that happen again.
‘It’s been huge what a difference a year makes. It was the worst of times at Muirfield but this is the best of times,’ said McIlroy who dedicated his win to his mother, Rosie, who was in tears by the 18th green.
‘To sit here 25 years of age and win my third Major Championship and be three-quarters of the way to a career Grand Slam, I never dreamed of being at this point in my career so quickly.
‘The more I keep looking at this trophy and seeing my name on it, the more it will start to sink in,’ added McIlroy who thanked the Liverpool golf fans for getting behind him, despite being a Manchester United supporter.



EmoticonEmoticon