Memories.

I remember growing up
I thought I’d stay young forever
Like
Peter Pan in Neverland
Because the more things changed,
The more they didn’t.
But that was a child’s fantasy.
Because the more things changed,
The more they did.
Memories.
Like
TV time.
Rainbows on full display every day at 4
Humming a tune of happy times ahead.
Like
The games we all played as kids
When police and thief
Were two different people.
Memories.
Like
You know the night time is the right time
Cos music still had a message
Or
Knowing there was a happy ending
Cos
Actor no dey die.
Memories.
Remember when a promise was a debt
Cos your word was your bond?
Or
Cross your heart and hope to die
But you still lived to die another day?
Memories.
Like when mommy and daddy were still a constant.
Remember when “can I borrow your pen?”
Meant “I like you”?
Or
“I dare you to try”
Meant “I’d really like to kiss you”?
Memories.
Like when friends were permanent
And loyalties weren’t bought with interests
Or
Saying “I love you” and not expecting “I love you too”
Cos
Love was selfless.
Memories.
Like “where do you come from?”
Meant “I want to know you more”
And not
“I need to know how far not to trust you”
Or
“In the name of God”
Wasn’t an excuse to kill your brother?
Memories.
Linger on
Like the last stubborn notes
Of a lover’s perfume.
Like this is what you had
But will never have.
Like Peter Pan and no Neverland.
Because the more things change,
The more they do.
Memories.


EmoticonEmoticon